Ground penetrating radar (GPR) is a geophysical method that uses radar pulses to image the subsurface. This nondestructive method uses electromagnetic radiation in the microwave band (UHF/VHF) of the radio spectrum and detects the reflected signals from subsurface structures.
GPR can be used in rock, soil, ice, freshwater, pavements and structures to detect objects, changes in material, voids and cracks. BHATE uses GPR on roads, buildings, railroads, bridges, airports and environmental purposes where underground utilities may be encountered. With offices in Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida, BHATE Geosciences can provide you with GPR solutions across the Southeast. Using BHATE for GPR can help you alleviate costs, change orders and insurance claims and make construction projects safer, quicker and more easily managed.
What is Ground Penetrating Radar?
- Ground penetrating radar uses an antenna pair (transmitter and receiver separated by a small fixed distance) to send short pulses of electromagnetic energy into the subsurface and record the returning signals.
- Images are projected on a monitor depicting the location and depth of targets identified.
- Multiple GPR antennas on one platform allow the creation of 3D images of the subsurface for even more complete mapping.
- BHATE utilizes GPR as well as various other geophysical methods, to locate subsurface targets. We apply this technology to utility locating and mapping, geologic inspections, underground storage tank (UST) locating, forensic investigations, bridge and roadbed inspections.
What GPR Solutions Does BHATE Provide?
- Structure Scan – GPR technology can save builders, contractors and architects time and money by allowing for structural reinforcements and utilities within concrete slabs and columns to be mapped. Our GPR technicians are trained on how to spot the difference between steel and nonmetal conduits, as well as identify corrosion in rebar.
- Utility Location – While One Call utility locating services can be useful, GPR provides extreme precision in utility line mapping and subsurface utility engineering, which is important when preventing line strikes. GPR can find unmapped utility lines and underground storage tanks (UST), which can prevent your company from being liable for accidental releases of hazardous substances. BHATE can precisely locate utility lines identified with GPR and overlay them onto a CAD file for your future use.
- Geologic Investigations – BHATE provides low-cost, non-intrusive means of subsurface investigation for our clients. Our GPR technicians perform detailed geologic analysis and work with clients in helping them understand their site and the implications of our findings. Our GPR experts have experience identifying voids, sinkholes, depth to water table, septic tanks, steel drums, underground storage tanks (UST), depth to bedrock and various other buried objects/structures.
- Roadbed and Bridge Deck Analysis – BHATE owns multiple systems for the collection of multichannel GPR data including handheld, walk-behind and vehicle-mounted GPR devices. Vehicle-mounted GPR can be used at traffic speeds for both the measurement of pavement structure thickness, as well as identifying areas of relative deterioration on bridge decks. Air-launched GPR systems are not connected to the ground surface and are capable of collecting data at speeds of up to 65 MPH without disrupting other road users.
- Pavement Evaluation & Pavement Condition Assessment – Knowledge of the existing structure and condition is critical to developing a reliable, cost-effective pavement restoration design. BHATE can use GPR to collect, interpret and report information to you to create a Pavement Management Plan.
Why use BHATE for GPR Services?
Knowledge & Experience
- BHATE Geosciences was the first engineering company in Alabama and one of the first in the South to perform ground penetrating radar (GPR) and has over 25 years of experience in providing GPR solutions.
- In addition to having backgrounds in civil engineering and geology, our GPR specialists have been trained by and are supervised by licensed engineers and geologists. We view each project with a mindset of an engineer which provides problem-solving solutions that save both time and money.
- BHATE has the experience and knowledge to read the GPR reports, understand and interpret and provide you with cost-effective solutions.
- Through decades of providing GPR services, we know that time is always a factor. BHATE prides itself on quickly responding to customer needs and scheduling our technicians to work around your schedule.
Proven & Consistent Results
- BHATE employs the latest in ground penetrating radar technology and the brightest and friendliest of technicians. Many of our technicians are registered geologists and engineers that bring in-depth technical know-how to your project.
Cost-Effective Engineering Solutions
- BHATE offers competitive GPR rates and provides technical knowledge that helps customers identify and resolve issues their job may present in a cost-effective manner.
- The benefits of proactively using GPR outweigh the potential costs and liabilities associated with line strikes, damaging reinforcing steel and the unknown.
- A cost-effective structural or subsurface investigation is never far away. With offices in Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida, BHATE is positioned to service the Southeast in a timely manner.
Interested in BHATE’s GPR services? Contact us now for more info or a quote.