Ground penetrating radar (GPR) is a geophysical method that uses radar pulses to image a surface. GPR scanning can be used in rock, soil, ice, freshwater, pavements and structure to detect objects such as utility lines, changes in material, voids and cracks.
BHATE owns multiple systems for the collection of multichannel GPR data including handheld, walk-behind and vehicle-mounted GPR devices. With offices in Alabama, Mississippi and Florida, BHATE can provide you with GPR solutions across the Southeast. Using BHATE for GPR can help you alleviate costs, change orders and insurance claims and make construction projects safer, quicker and more easily managed.
What is Ground Penetrating Radar?
- This nondestructive method uses electromagnetic radiation in the microwave band (UHF/VHF) with an antenna pair (transmitter and receiver separated by a small fixed distance) to send short pulses of electromagnetic energy and then records the returning signals.
- Images are projected on a monitor depicting location and depth of targets identified.
- Multiple GPR antennas on one platform allow the creation of 3D images of the subsurface for even more complete mapping.
- Our GPR specialists interpret the reports to provide you with answers and solutions.
What GPR Solutions Does BHATE Provide?
- Structure Scan – GPR technology can save builders, contractors and architects time and money by mapping
structural reinforcements and utilities within concrete slabs and columns. Our GPR technicians are trained on how to spot the difference between steel and nonmetal conduits, as well as identify corrosion in rebar.
- Utility Location – While One Call utility locating services can be useful, GPR provides extreme precision in utility line mapping and subsurface utility engineering, which is important when preventing line strikes. GPR can find unmapped utility lines and underground storage tanks (UST), which can prevent your company from being liable for accidental releases of hazardous substances. BHATE can precisely locate utility lines identified with GPR and overlay them onto a CAD file for your future use.
- Geologic Investigations – BHATE provides low-cost, non-intrusive means of subsurface investigation for our clients. Our GPR technicians perform detailed geologic analysis and work with clients in helping them understand their site and the implications of our findings. Our GPR experts have experience identifying voids, sinkholes, depth to water table, septic tanks, steel drums, underground storage tanks (UST), depth to bedrock and various other buried objects/structures. We have performed GPR on numerous cemeteries to map underground items.
- Roadbed and Bridge Deck Analysis – Vehicle-mounted GPR can be used at traffic speeds for both the measurement of pavement structure thickness, as well as identifying areas of relative deterioration on bridge decks. Air-launched GPR systems are not connected to the ground surface and are capable of collecting data at speeds of up to 65 MPH without disrupting other road users.
- Pavement Evaluation & Pavement Condition Assessment – Knowledge of the existing structure and condition is critical to developing a reliable, cost-effective pavement restoration design. BHATE can use GPR to collect, interpret and report information to you to create a Pavement Management Plan.
Why use BHATE for GPR Services?
Knowledge & Experience
- BHATE was the first engineering company in Alabama and one of the first in the South to perform (GPR) and has over 25 years of experience in GPR scanning.
- In addition to having backgrounds in civil engineering and geology, our GPR specialists have been trained by and are supervised by licensed engineers and geologists. We view each project with a mindset of an engineer which provides problem-solving solutions that save both time and money.
- BHATE has the experience and knowledge to read the GPR reports, understand and interpret and provide you with cost-effective solutions.
- Through decades of providing GPR scanning, we know that time is always a factor. BHATE prides itself on quickly responding to customer needs and scheduling our technicians to work around your schedule.
Cost-Effective Engineering Solutions
- BHATE offers competitive GPR scanning rates and technical knowledge that helps customers identify and resolve issues their job may present in a cost-effective manner.
- The benefits of proactively using GPR scanning outweighs the potential costs and liabilities associated with line strikes, damaging reinforcing steel and the unknown.
- A cost-effective structural or subsurface investigation is never far away. With offices in Alabama, Mississippi and Florida, BHATE is positioned to service the Southeast in a timely manner with GPR services.
Interested in BHATE’s GPR services? Contact us now for more info or a quote.