BHATE Geosciences has a dedicated group of trained engineers, geologists and technicians that provide subsurface utility engineering services to public and private clients. Every year there are thousands of incidents involving contractors and accidental strikes to underground utilities. While the network of underground utilities continues to increase, the contractor's risk of inadvertently damaging one of these lines also increases.
Basis of Accomplishing Subsurface Utility Engineering Services is generally as follows:
- ASCE Standard CI/ASCE 38-02: “Standard Guideline for the Collection and Depiction of Existing Subsurface Utility Data”
- FHWA and DOT Policy Guidelines
- Specific client requirements for excavations or relocation of utilities
- BHATE will tailor the process to suit individual projects
Utility Location Equipment Owned by BHATE includes the following:
- Ground-Penetrating Radar (GPR) and Multi-channel GPR systems
- Optical Equipment
- RD7000 and RD 7000 DL Cable and Pipe Locators
- Ferro Magnetic Locators
Change orders and design adjustments during construction due to unexpected utility lines in the project area can be very expensive. Subsurface Utility Engineering was born of a desire to alleviate these costs and make construction projects safer, quicker and more easily managed.
BHATE currently has Subsurface Utility Engineering contracts with Alabama Department of Transportation and Mississippi Department of Transportation.