BHATE Geosciences brings together over four decades of geophysics data acquisition and processing leadership with a clear focus on our clients’ needs. Geophysical exploration is conducted to supplement and enhance geotechnical data. 3-D models can be created using a combination of field exploration and subsurface geophysical mapping for site characterization of the geological structure, groundwater and underground manmade conditions.
- Electrical current is passed through the ground at regular points on a survey grid.
- Electrical resistance in the soil varies and is affected by the presence of subsurface features.
- The patterns of resistance are recorded, plotted and interpreted by our geotechnical engineers.
Seismic Refraction/Seismic Reflection
- Measuring time required for a seismic impulse to travel from a seismic source to a receiver.
- The choice of the seismic source depends upon the length of the seismic line, the degree of resolution desired, and the environmental suitability of a source to:
- Map bedrock topography
- Determine the depth of gravel, sand or clay deposits
- Determine the depth to the water table
- Detect subsurface caverns
- Estimate rippability
- Detect shallow faults and fracture zones
Multichannel Analysis of Surface Waves (MASW)
- Measures seismic surface waves generated and analyzes the velocities of surface waves to deduce shear-wave velocity variations below the surveyed area.
- Shear-wave velocity is used to derive load-bearing capacity.
- Our geotechnical engineers analyze and interpret the wave data.
Microgravity Surveys/Gravity Surveys
- Detect subsurface cavities or changes in subsurface density and hence rock types.
- Measures the gravitational field at a series of different locations over an area of interest.
- Measurements are interpreted by our geotechnical engineers.
Refraction Microtremor (ReMi) Seismic Method
- Provides an effective and efficient means to acquire general, one-dimensional, info about large volumes of the subsurface with one setup.
- Estimates shear wave velocity and provides site-specific NEHRP and IBC Vs30 soil classification data.
- Testing is performed at the ground surface with no need for a specially cased borehole.
- ReMi is useful in determining site-specific earthquake response, liquefaction potential, soil compaction, and subsurface geology.
- Remote vibration monitoring
- Mechanical equipment evaluation
- Pre-construction and pre-blast surveys
BHATE uses geophysical methods, structural condition evaluation of buildings, infrastructure assessment for roads, bridges and runways and other applications to provide engineering solutions that are:
- Non-destructive - ideal for use in populated areas or structures in active use with minimal disruption
- Cost-effective - geophysics does not require excavation or direct access to subsurface except for subsequent localized validation of findings and provides a means of evaluating large areas rapidly
- Comprehensive - combinations of geophysical methods can provide the means of applying different techniques to solve complex problems
- Proven - the majority of techniques have been in existence for more than a half-century and BHATE has been working with them for over 40 years